Dr Kate Bexley
Principal Psychologist / Director
Kate is a friendly and approachable therapist, who aims to help you understand how your difficulties developed, how they are being maintained in the ‘here and now’, and how you can break out of any recurring patterns or cycles that you find yourself in, using practical strategies. She is a qualified and registered Counselling Psychologist (DPsych), BABCP accredited CBT Therapist and has further qualified as an EMDR Therapist and Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) Therapist. Kate’s key approaches are CBT, Compassion-Focused Therapy (CFT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR). She draws on and blends these ideas to develop a tailor made treatment plan to best meet your needs.
Kate is based in Sutton on the London/ Surrey border and offers face-to-face therapy locally (currently unavailable due to COVID-19) and online counselling and therapy across the UK and beyond.
Kate has a specialist interest in helping people who feel like they are not good enough, or feel like a fraud, who believe their success is due to ‘luck’ rather than themselves, and experience anxiety about being found out (imposter syndrome). This is often coupled with difficulties accepting positive feedback and a desire to get things as close to ‘perfect’ as possible. Kate has found that many people who feel this way also tend to worry and struggle with uncertainty, which can cause anxiety and low mood (i.e. generalised anxiety disorder; GAD).
Kate can also help if you are struggling with:
- Social anxiety- a persistent fear about social situations and being around people
- Panic Attacks- periods of intense fear or apprehension that are of sudden onset and of variable duration from minutes to hours
- Agoraphobia- anxiety in and avoidance of certain situations often due to crowedness or vastness.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)- unwanted, unpleasant thoughts, images or urges that repeatedly enters a person’s mind, causing anxiety and motivation to engage in a behaviour to reduce the anxiety.
- Health anxiety- persistent worrying about your own and/or others health
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)- anxiety disorder caused by very stressful, frightening or distressing events including road accidents, violent personal assaults, such as sexual assault, mugging or robbery, prolonged sexual abuse, violence or severe neglect and military combat
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)- anxiety and uncontrollable worry about a wide variety of situations associated with restlessness, trouble concentrating or sleeping
- Specific phobias- irrational fear and avoidance of a specific object (e.g. animal) or situation (e.g. heights)
- Relationship Issues- including romantic, family, friendships and other platonic relationships.
She also has experience in working with:
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Binge Eating Disorder and Bulimia
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Trichotillomania (compulsive hair pulling) and Dermotilomania (compulsive skin picking)
- Childhood Trauma
- Domestic Violence
- Paranoid Delusions
- Personality Disorders
2014- Present – Principal Psychologist/ Director, Counselling Psychology Online (Private Practice)
2017-2019: Principal Supervising Psychologist /Clinical Lead, NHS, Surrey and Merton Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT).
2016-2017: Senior High Intensity CBT Therapist, NHS, Merton IAPT.
2013-2014: Counselling Psychologist (honorary), Addiction and Support Service, Surbiton.
2012- 2016: High Intensity CBT Therapist and Supervisor, NHS. Hammersmith and Fulham IAPT.
2009- 2012: High Intensity CBT Therapist, NHS. Richmond and Twickenham IAPT.
2008-2010: Assistant Psychologist, The Priory Hospital, Roehampton.
2008-2009: Psychotherapist (honorary), Kids Company, Hackney.
2007-2008: Mental Health Support Worker, MCCH, Canterbury.
2006-2008 – Supportive Listener, Samaritans, Canterbury.
2018: EMDR Practitioner, EMDR Academy, London.
2016: Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, City University, London.
2015: Interpersonal Therapy (IPT), Anna Freud Centre, London.
2010-2011: Post Graduate Diploma in CBT, Royal Holloway, University of London.
2009-2010: Post Graduate Certificate in CBT (Expert Practice), Kings College, University of London
2008-2009: Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapy, Roehampton University, London.
2004-2008: BSc (Hons) Psychology, University of Kent, Canterbury.
Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC) Registered Counselling Psychologist
BABCP The British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies. Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist