What is Person-Centred Therapy?
Person Centred Therapy (PCT), also known as client-centred counselling, is a non-directive and less structured approach to helping you to manage your difficulties.
PCT ultimately recognises that we as human beings have an innate tendency toward growth and a desire to reach our full potential. However, a lack of certain life experiences, especially those that link to our sense of self can prevent us from from achieving this.
A PCT therapist or counsellor will aim to provide you with a set of conditions with your sessions to help you to recognise and achieve your full potential. These are:
Empathy: The counsellor will endeavour to experience the world as you see it, to as fully as possible understand your thoughts and feelings.
Unconditional Positive Regard: Irrespective of who you are, what you have done, what you think, the counsellor will be accepting of you.
Congruence or Authenticity: The counsellor will aim to be aware of their own thoughts and feeling during the session and communicate these to you. This not only allow you to experience a ‘real’ relationship, especially in terms of how you may impact others, but it will also, in turn, allow you to become more aware of your own thoughts and feelings and communicate these to others outside of therapy.
The Person Centred Therapy approach can also help you to:
- Close the gap between who you are and who you would like to be
- Understand yourself better
- Process feelings of anger, sadness and anxiety
- Increase your trust in yourself
- Develop and maintain healthier relationships
- Improve self-expression
- Achieve healthy changes
Do you have questions?
It's not unusual to have questions about what type(s) of therapy may be suitable for you.
We're here to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch so we can discuss what might help you.
Types of Counselling:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Enhanced CBT (CBT-E)
- Person-Centred Therapy (PCT)
- Psychosynthesis Counselling
- Transactional Analysis Counselling (TA)
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
Person Centred Therapy with Counselling Psychology Online
We offer bespoke online Person Centred Therapy (PCT) for all different clients including adults, children, adolescents, families and couples. Counselling Psychology Online has a wealth of expereince in person centred therapy.